Thursday, June 26, 2014

Chief Rita Songworth - 3

So after months of living like dogs, my parents tell me they want me to apply for a position on one of the air carriers that are headed to a new world. Solitaire. It sounds so exotic and wonderful, but I'm betting it'll be hardcore living and nothing as beautiful as Earth once was. I argued that I wanted to stay with them, but we all know if chem-lung doesn't get us all--sooner rather than later--then starvation or even murder at the hands of once respectable people turned desperate, just might. I'm still fit and healthy, and being a soldier just might be the one guarantee that sees me taken away from the nightmare that is my life. But leaving behind my parents...my heart aches just at the thought. Guess I'd better not count my chickens before they hatch. I mightn't even be accepted into the ranks of those lucky enough to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment